Sunday, September 27, 2009

Turning your couponing into a ministry: Coupon Addicted Mom

I was asked this weekend, "how is your coupon blog a ministry?" I explained it & decided to type it out.

I first had decided to just pass along the information from finding the deals on, so that if others wanted to check it out they could. However, short time into it I realized that God was slowly helping me turn it in to so much more. Who am I if God blesses me with something to hold it to myself? I was reminded of the scripture in Matthew 25:35-40
35) For I was hungry and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36)I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. 37) Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38) When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39) When did we see you sick or in prison and go visit you?' 40) The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

So why hold the information to myself if it can better someone else's life or those around them? I can't. To me its like Love without bounderies. It may not mean something big to somebody, but it could mean a child gets to eat an extra day for another who is experiencing tough times.

I first looked at my couponing & thought 'wow, what a great way to save the family money.' After this scripture came back to me my thinking went to "WOW! I can get items that I don't need & either donate them to charities or if someone is in need of an item that I have extra of then I can help them out!" This is the way I've been able to turn my couponing into a ministry. If God gives you a blessing, don't keep it to yourself. Turn it around & use it to bless others. Some may not choose to do so, but I can't tell you how huge a smile I get from seeing something I can get for free or $1 or less that I don't need but I'm going to get it anyway b/c someone else can use it.

Also, you can use your coupons to help out military families. Stores around some bases allow those in the area to use expired coupons. How great is that! Support our troops through prayer, but also support their families by helping them save money even after a coupon has expired.

I was also asked, "you don't cut out every coupon do you?" Actually, I do. I don't have a dog, but someone else does & they could use the coupon. In fact last evening, I stopped w/my 4 yr old at walmart to get her a game. While in line a girl behind me was putting her items up on the belt & I noticed she didn't have any coupons. I knew I had a coupon that she could use that was about to expire. So I reached in my bag, pulled it out & gave it to her. Her face lit up! Even though it was 1 little coupon, she may have been thinking that day that no one cares about her. Maybe I was a small glimmer of Christ's love to her. You never know what someone is going through around you, you may be the very one that keeps their faith & hope going!

No comments:

Post a Comment